NEW: This year AWP is pleased to offer the AWP Community Scholarship aimed to increase conference access for low-income attendees and attendees of color.
Association of Authors’ Representatives (AAR): A professional organization of literary agents who work with authors and playwrights. AAR offers a free, searchable database of literary agents representing a variety of genres.
NewPages: Offers free news, databases information and guides to literary magazines, independent publishers, creative writing programs, alternative periodicals, indie bookstores, writing contests and more.
Poets & Writers (P&W): The country’s largest nonprofit for creative writers, to foster the professional development, promote communication and help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public. P&W offers free databases under the Publishing Your Writing Tab.
- T.S. Eliot on Writing: His Warm and Wry Letter of Advice to a Sixteen Year Old Girl Aspiring to Become a Writer
- The Effortless Effort of Creativity: Jane Hirshfield on Story Telling, the Art of Concentration, and Difficulty as a Consecrating Force of Creative Attention
- Jeanette Winterson’s 10 Tips on Writing
- Rachel Carson on Writing and the Loneliness of Creative Work
- In Her Own Words: Toni Morrison on Writing, Editing, and Teaching
- Anton Chekhov’s 6 Rules for a Great Story
- Elmore Leonard’s 10 Rules of Writing
- Resources for Writers: The Writing Process
- Dare to Disturb the Universe: Madeleine L’Engle on Creativity, Censorship, Writing, and the Duty of Children’s Books