The Room of Requirement is the magical room in the 6th Harry Potter book that only opens when it knows you need it, a room that can be whatever you need it to be, a room that transforms itself depending on who is entering. This is how I’ve come to think of The Writing Room here at Westport Writers. On some afternoons, I’ve sat and written to prompts with other writers; on others, I’ve worked one-on-one with a writer on a particular story she was trying to polish before sending it out into the world. My point is that this space molds into what you need it to be; our instructors are all flexible and here to support YOU and your current writing needs.
At the start of each two-hour session, instructors will ask what kind of hurdles the writers are facing. If you’re there to just write, we have prompts for that. Working on a novel? We have focused prompts for that–to deepen your understanding of character and the choices they make, the create more three-dimensional scenes, improve your dialogue, setting, or plot.
Other reasons to join?
- Come bring a friend and just write to the prompts. Draft material without any expectations
- General material for a new piece
- Bring a few pages to receive feedback from the instructor
- Use this time to force yourself to re-plot your novel, push through to the end
- Talk/share writing ideas with the instructor & the other writers in the room
Only $25 – email firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00 day of to let us know you’re joining!
1:00 – 3:00 p.m (You don’t have to stay the whole time, come for an hour if that works!)